Thursday, December 17, 2015

And the countdown begins...

I had a follow up appointment with my plastic surgeon yesterday.  He seems to be happy with how my last fat grafting procedure is working.  He felt confident enough to schedule my exchange surgery for March 21st.  I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to not having these hard plastic expanders in.  But I would be lying if I told you that the idea of this bigger surgery doesn't make me a little anxious.  They warned me that I make get the pleasure of having drains again.  The drains are not fun to have in, but the getting them removed part is probably even worse.  I'm just sayin'... And the first couple of days where you just don't feel like yourself....BUT it is all worth it!



It's all been worth it.  To reduce my risk of ovarian cancer by 90+%.   And to eliminate the need to be at the doctor every 6 months for monitoring.  And to not have to get a call saying that you need to repeat an MRI due to their fear of what they might have seen.  And to not have people treat you like you have cancer already because you are BRCA+.  The pain, the obstacles, the financial burden were all worth it!


So the countdown begins to next big surgery! And maybe to the day where I don't have to plan my life around the next surgery.  I don't want to get too far ahead of myself! As a side note, when I was preparing to begin this journey I wish someone would have explained that a mastectomy and reconstruction is not just a 1 or 2 step process.  That sometimes it takes a few to get things right.  That being said....I would not change a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment